Monday 1 October 2012

A Eurogamer 2012 Story

I’m sure you’ll pardon me for a brief EEK as I’ve finally hit my Eurogamer Expo comedown today which means it’s all over for another year.

Those of you that don’t know from Thursday 27th of September to Sunday 30th the Eurogamer Expo weekend was in town which brought all the big developers to London for the biggest UK video games fest in history. This year Earl’s Court was packed to the rafters with Connor style Assassins, Zombies and Chicken Heads (see below) as well as everything a video game fanatic might need.


Those of you that went will be superbly happy with yourselves; while those that didn’t might want to take a long hard look at themselves….!

Unfortunately this year I missed the Saturday night afterparty but my day of drinking certainly made the whole thing a lot of fun. Last year I went in sober to really take in the atmosphere; this year I got drunk and talked my way into extra swag, photo opportunities and queue jumping (sorry those who suffered waits because of me).

Firstly let me start by saying the Retro Zone & Indie Arcades were fantastic. The quality on offer really was excellent and in particularly I loved ‘A Bastard’ – which probably holds the award for best video game title ever. Proteus also impressed with its colourful vision of the world and audio style of gameplay. I loved these areas last year but they were just brilliant in their execution at the weekend, drawing your gaze from across the venue.

One of my only regrets was my lack of time at the GameIndustry Fair; I’ve never fancied myself to make games, and my programming skills are pretty terrible, but I love seeing the workshops and the opportunities to speak with those people who have already made it. If you’ve ever played a game and though ‘Wow, I’d love to get paid to make these’, then you were probably the people I stalked and took photos of at the weekend.


Eurogamer Expo always put on tournaments but this year I got to see some special things. The PES ans Tekken tournaments had been kicking off once every day but on the Saturday the 2011 PES World Champion played the 2011 FIFA World Champion in a head to head at the Pro Evo 2013 edition. It was a rather controlled affair with both competitors showing the utmost respect for their counterpart – in the end someone had to win and you should all watch it on YouTube so I won’t spoil it for you here.

I also tried to bang out a decent time on F1 2013 but managed to get almost double the time of the day leader after an early off track spin while using my amateur nature of a toddler holding the acceleration button – Owned!

In the main games arena I tried all the biggest titles on offer from adventure games like Tomb Raider and Dishonoured to highly anticipated sequels like Halo 4 and Gears of War Judgment. We also made our way around to the Fable: The Journey stand as well as both the new Football titles this year. I wish I’d have spent more time with the Wii U and the new Vita titles but I think I got enough out of my few minutes to give you a bit of a rundown over the next few days.

So all in all my Eurogamer trip was a true success – I got drunk and I played Video Games – I advertised my blog a bit by sticking a few stickers around and I generally annoyed the masses… just like a usual Saturday night.

How did you guys find the event? What were your favourite parts? More importantly was there anything you didn’t like – apart from my queue hoping?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...