Friday 23 August 2013

Grand Theft Auto V Online (GTA V: Online)

Right, firstly I need to be quite honest here, I only really play online multiplayer if I’m any good at the game itself. I rarely nowadays play a game at too high of a competitive level but cooperatively I am still quite fond of. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule; I love a good skirmish on Black Ops II, a lengthy match of conquest on Battlefield 3, a sweet ultimate team match on Fifa 13 and also the free play open world of Red Dead Redemption. There are very few games that I’ve played to their highest online level – except Borderlands (original & 2) – because I tend to find my attention span dropping the more time I play any game.

Continually playing the same game over and over again is something that appeals to me less and less as I get older, however with the recent trailer for Grand Theft Auto Online ‘GTAO’, this looks set to change and here are the reason as to why…

Rockstar have a pedigree that is second to none in the gaming industry. Over the past few years they have invigorated common ideas, polishing gameplay mechanics and setting new levels for immersive experiences. I for one loved the Red Dead Redemption free roam game, and it’s one of the few online experiences that I don’t get bored of. Very few developers have the ability to deliver a living breathing world that has so many points of interest and experiences to enjoy.

On paper using this ‘Free Roam’ mechanic as a background for GTAO ensures the experience will be the same and yet entirely different. Rockstar are at their best within this franchise and a refinement to a universally respected gameplay option can only ever be a good thing.

This ‘open-world’ style will allow players to create their own fun, additional activities and see how long they can survive with the top level star rating. Sitting back and enjoying this experience on GTAIV was great fun (and the same with Red Dead). Rockstar are now delivering the most comprehensive version of this gameplay option ever.

GTA Online shares lots of characteristics with a modern day MMO. The idea of owning a home and garage that a player can customize by earning resources is certainly a feature that fits in with the massively multiplayer genre. When this is added to, a hugely personalised, online character the player the experience seems even more like a functioning GTA MMO. The idea of collecting all the vehicles, or owning the most lavish home, will appeal to a lot of gamers – it’ll be interesting to see just how much time and effort people are willing to put in though.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...