Friday 26 August 2011

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews

Being a huge fan of the original Deus Ex I have found myself very excited about Human Revolution and whether it has the potential to live up to the hype it’s kicking up. I remember the story, the late nights and the 3 points shots I made. Deus Ex has been admired by some as the Greatest Video Game Ever and should be given a chance by anyone who loves an engrossing story.

However lots of fans found the second game in the series - Invisible War - a lot less enjoyable then the first. They said that it filtered out the RPG elements and watered down the content that the original game had. Yes there were a few technical hiccups like poor enemy AI but I never found this really impacted the experience and story. I actually found Invisible War to be an entertaining throw back to the original game and understand even now why Eidos made the second instalment more of a pick up and play game then the first. They wanted to bring the experience to a wider audience and their ideas gave the game an edge in the market – it actually received an average of 84 on Metacritic for the Xbox version.

Obviously I now have high hopes on Human Revolution and have read numerous reviews ahead of the launch in Europe today. I’ve got my pre-order ready and I’ve already popped to my local Video Game dealer so I’m ready to give it a go as soon as I can.

I thought I’d write something first to ensure that I know what my views on this game are prior to them being blurred when I actually get a chance to play the game itself for a few hours.

Deus Ex is one of those series that is difficult to place in one specific genre – it has actions, role playing elements and shooter mechanics. The game itself will represent something different depending on how you want to play it. These games offer a thoughtful, intelligent story that wraps itself around gameplay that allows you to progress in many different ways. In fact I’ve heard that it is possible to complete Human Revolution without killing anyone (except for any situations scripted into the game). You can always approach each mission using stealth and slipping in and out of areas completely undetected. You can also run in all guns blazing and shoot each and every individual on your way to completing your objective.

Deus Ex as a series is really special due to its lack of obvious answers. Most games in this generation don’t allow you to think outside the box and give you the answer without provoking any thought in the player. Deus Ex on the other hand gives you visual clues that help you build a basis for your approach. Going into an office for example will allow you to use view the environment and get an educated idea on the person in question.

I’ll let you know what I think later when I give it a go for myself….


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...