Tuesday 8 November 2011

GTA V - Please Remember

Like most of you I am quite excited about GTA V and have been quite impressed with the trailer released this week. I wrote a little article a few days back explaining what can be seen in the trailer itself and what is likely to be included. I have now put together a list of 5 areas I think shouldn’t be included in the fifth outing.


5: Mini-games

Although Mini-games are no doubt going to be included in the final game at least make these interesting and have some sort of skill level involved. In Red Dead Redemption the card and Five Finger games were redundant and just a waste of time. In GTA IV however the mini-games were intuitive and had a feeling of skill to help them along. Hopefully Pool will make its triumphant return.

Having some achievements requiring you to play some terrible mini-games is not the way I want to spend my achievement hunting days.


4: Backstory Shenanigans

Too many games open on an epic backstory as an attempt hook people from the get go but we brought the game for how it plays and what they've heard. They didn't need a backstory then so why now? Frankly I expect game to burn slowly and build an epic scale around my playtime; I don’t want to know what has happened over the last 20 years, I just want to know what’s happening now. Many games these days try too hard and I really want the story to develop as I play. There shouldn’t be 30 minutes of story-driven content right from the off. I should be put in the shoes of my character and my actions should show the scope of the game. 

I don't mean get rid of tutorials but do something creative like Bioshock or Deus Ex. Let me get right into the action and play the story as opposed to watching cutscene after cutscene.


3: Computers

We all know that contacting people via email on a computer was as annoying as the question of why Niko didn’t get people’s numbers as soon as possible instead.

It supports the realism of the characters within Liberty City but leads to annoyingly frustrating gameplay. Scrolling webpage’s was awkward and slow… much like a dial up connection. This actually took away from the masterpiece that was GTA IV; making a game seem more real is great but remember this isn’t a life simulator: this is a game.


2: Turf Wars

Going through the fictional streets in San Andreas threw up several problems for gamers like me. I’m one of these people that needs to be 100% perfect all the time and I spent the majority of my time in game trying to stop the constant shift in ‘turf’. This was fun at first but the shear regularity and repetitive gameplay annoyed the hell out of my.

I know the feature didn’t come over to GTA IV but being back in San Andreas worries me that it might be included again.


1: Guns

People love Liberty City but to me it is really just another GTA. The one thing that disappoints me is the throw back secondary characters. Yes Nike and Roman look gorgeous but the population of the city are drab and in most cases lifeless.  It is a little ridiculous to think people didn't actually do anything but walk, drive and carry shopping.

No-one actually does anything.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...