Friday 15 July 2011

Gaming News

Blogging for this site has slowly started creeping into my life more and more and I’m find that it has become part of my daily routine. I often write something out one evening and either post it then or draft it to be checked the following day either first thing or on my lunch break. If I don’t get my hit then I tend to be a bit of a grumpy puppy. I always feel that I’ve let myself down if I don’t get a post done each day which seems to be rather a lot at the moment.

Slow news days are by far the absolute worst thing to occur when I’ve got my typing fingers ready. As my previous post outlined most of the summer months consist of this sort of thing but luckily I have several hundred ideas floating around in my head or quickly jotted down on my notepad to help me through.

What I was thinking of doing was providing a list of the sites I currently use for information purposes. This can be used for you to find new sites that may be of interest and for those moments when I need some inspiration.

In pursuit of some good talking points for blog topics, I've come across some interesting sites. Some are clogged with short random articles that look both unprofessional and uneventful. Others present themselves very well with a vast array of highly-talented opinions and original ideas.

Even before I started this blog I was always a regular viewer on several gaming sites, although none of them are specifically my favourite they do take up a little bit of my time each day. I like certain writers more then others but this is usually due to their styles and not their opinions. Different people are bound to have different opinions and as long as they express themselves in a constructive way with good reasoning then I’m happy.

Obviously the biggest site for gaming news is IGN; it will always be a great source for good stories and preview information. Although many people find their opinions questionable I find myself very nonchalant towards it all. They have also been criticised for sometimes playing the favouritism card but I haven’t really found any indication of this myself.

I have a fair share of gaming blogs that I regularly read including Kotaku, Joystiq and Destructoid but I’ve also found myself delving into other people’s blogs too. These three are a few of the fairly larger sites with a lot of needless chatter that doesn’t have much depth. Kotaku is the biggest culprit allowing pages of articles to be posted day to day even if they carry no real weight.

I’ve actually become a fan of Jeff Heilig’s work, ‘avideogamesblog’ on blogspot is really great and I have taken some of his views on board. I wish him the best of luck with his blog and hope all his hard work starts paying off. I hope he reads this too as it’s a vague attempt to grab his attention.

I recently found out about the N4G website through him and really enjoy using this too. It operates as a base to allow smaller sites the opportunity to present their works to a larger audience and in essence increase their fanbase. Their articles are interesting and a great way to pass 5 minutes or hear what hot topics are hitting the web.

Most of my blog consists of my own opinions, of course, and whenever I do take someones idea I give them credit as this is not only polite but respectful toward the original author.

[Edit] I’ll link this up shortly but I’m being lazy and I’m about to go out and watch Sussex play 20/20 Cricket. Before you ask I’m not a fan but a cold beer and some sunshine isn’t a bad thing on a Friday night. In the mean time typing these into Google will let you find the sites easily.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...