Wednesday 20 July 2011

This Is What You Wanted Right?

I don’t often write about my life as I can’t see people having that much of an interest in what I had for breakfast, watched on the TV or where I went for my last pint of Crabbies. I just don’t think it makes interesting reading. However, I have decided to post a little bit about my horrendous weekend today so you can all feel my pain.

A weekend of fun can quite quickly turn into a weekend of hell. This was in fact exactly what happened as my lazy, quiet few days turned upside down causing hassle and stress.

As one of my previous posts outlined I had been due to attend the Sussex against Surrey Cricket game in Hove on Friday evening. I had been looking forward to this event for quite some time now even though my knowledge of the sport itself is rather limited. My better half has had a passion for the game ever since I’ve known her and she’s spent many an hour explaining Over’s, LBW’s and the various differences in the game types to me. I’m basically in a position where I can watch a game and understand the basic principles of what is actually going on.

Anyway my days started as any other; work, lunch and more work before a colleague of mine, my girlfriend and I got ready to head for the venue. We were due to pick another friend of ours up on the way but between our limited knowledge of Hove and his lack of address information we soon found ourselves driving back and forth looking for some sign that we were going in the right direction.

Our driver had recently got himself a new BMW which until this specific day had been a reliable and comfortable car. This particular night though the four wheel beast now known as ‘Blade’ was having a bit of an off day. A combination of the busy roads, humid weather and constant stopping made sure Blade didn’t really perform to his usual best. Heading back on ourselves about 30 minutes before the match was due to start we noticed that the temperature gauge on the car was now ‘in the red’. Almost immediately the bonnet started to produce smoke and a few moments later we had pulled up in the high street with the bonnet open, smoke releasing up into the atmosphere, my friend wondering why we hadn’t picked him up yet and me running up the road to try and get some bottled water to cool it down.

The car took over 30 minutes to cool down. The friend we were suppose to taxi decided to walk to us in the end too (which would have saved a lot of hassle in the first place) and gave us our tickets so he could go to the ground and catch the beginning of the game. Being the great friends that we are my girlfriend and I decided that we would wait with the car as it would be rude to up run off and leave our friend worrying what to do on his own. After a few more minutes and the a decease in all of our excitement we realised that there were available parking spaces about 3 meters further up the road where we could have left the car to watch the Cricket.
We parked up and walked up to the Cricket expecting to go in a bit late and enjoy the rest of the game. Once we arrived though we decided to sell the tickets and drink in the local pub instead. We managed to sell one to a young child outside the venue who had been hoping to pick one up as the venue was initially sold out. After a couple of pints (cokes for the driver) we decided to venture home with two tickets sold, beer filled stomachs, slightly worrying about our journey back. The drive itself wasn’t too bad but consisted of another breakdown. This time we ventured to McDonalds in the hope that the time it took to eat a happy meal would allow the car to cool down enough to continue onwards.

Luckily we got back safe and sound without watching a minute of the Cricket and instead filling our evening with car fumes, waiting on the side of the road, beer and fast food.

My Saturday didn’t get much better either. After a trip to town for some shopping in the rain resulted in both me and my girlfriend forgetting our respective sets of keys. This ended with us waiting outside our house in the rain for the hope that her landlord would be returning home soon. Luckily her neighbour took us in from the cold for a cup of coffee before setting us back out on our way. Fortunately we were only locked out for a couple of hours but even so this certainly put another dent in our lazy weekend plans.

All in all conclusions from this weekend were:

§   Do not give lifts to friends who do not know where they are
§   These friends will only get angry and leave you when you don’t turn up on time
§   Young children stuck outside sports venues looking for tickets deserve your generosity
§   BMW’s are unreliable
§   McDonalds always seems like a great idea until you eat it
§   You should always check you have your keys on rainy days before you shut the door

1 comments :

Leave a Comment...