Thursday 22 September 2011

A Game of Thrones - Review TV & Book

I know I haven’t done this before but I thought now was the time to tell you just how much I am loving A Song of Fire an Ice. I usually read a book once and put it down but I don’t often reread them or contemplate opening them again as soon as they are shut. A Song of Fire and Ice is a brilliant series that gets deeper and more impressive the further through it you get. As much as I've enjoyed many books I've read, they just don't require a second read for me. The first book in this beloved series is of course A Game of Thrones which recently got a TV outing from the people at HBO. I love the series but the book is so richly created with a wealth of depth that I would stress that any fans of the series go straight out and start reading right away. I loved this book and all its characters so much that I find myself craving the world of Westeros and narrative so much that I can’t wait to get home and carry on.

Every single character in this tale has a rich background and heaps of personality that make you want to know more about each of them. The characters themselves make for a deeply engrossing tale that makes you want them to succeed and it’s difficult to actually find one you dislike even when they have the vilest of personalities. Characters I was original repulsed by grew on me and change in many fascinating ways – each one emphasising how great George R.R Martin is at creating a brilliant world.

Normally I’m not a fan of books that have too many different characters but the whole series is very well integrated. Each chapter is written from a perspective of each of the more involved characters which really give each a different depth you don’t often find in modern fantasy files. Martin has the ability to hook you in and it’s great to start a chapter and follow a specific characters quest. You are really provided with a broad picture of the current affairs and it’s a seamless narrative to follow.

I’ve read quite a few epic fantasy saga’s in my time and love books by both Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordon, both are probably Martin’s biggest rivals. Both of these authors have a very different style to Martin and are happy to let their stories build into each dramatic event but a Song of Fire and Ice is different. As each chapter is split by character it is very easy for the progress to occur in a faster passing then Martin’s contemporaries. I never had a moment while reading this where I thought that the chapter had been put in as filler or without a specific reason for inclusion.  Each chapter grabbed me, and by the time it ended I was groaning as I had to leave behind this story thread but are then instantly swept up by the events of the next chapter.

The other thing I love about A Game of Thrones is the authors commitments to the narrative and not the characters themselves. Many stories have jeopardy but you always count on the fact that the main character will not die as there are more books to come. The series is different and tragedy occurs as much as any success. It makes the whole experience feel as real as possible. I couldn’t recommend the series more.

Off the back of this brilliant series has been the recent HBO TV adaptation that has given the saga an even bigger audience. It’s right up there with LOST, Fringe and Broadwalk Empire as the best things to watch this year.

Game of Thrones might just urge on other, just as faithful adaptations of books to the small screen as this really has been a global hit. Shows like True Blood and The Walking Dead follow their source material loosely, to varying degrees of success while Game of Thrones adhered to its source material so closely that even the pickiest fans could only find small faults. Neil Gaiman's American Gods will be having an adaptation of it’s own shortly (also on HBO) and this series might well be the reason why this has got a chance at success too.

The series did a masterful job at bringing us wonderful characters, through both writing and acting. Peter Dinklage's Tyrion Lannister was an obvious standout with wonderful dialogue delivered with witty sarcasm or believable poignancy whenever required. His recent EMMY award shows just how good his performance really is. The newcomers also did a great job filling this world with characters that seem almost exactly the same as the portraits I gave them in my own head.

What I would suggest though is to read the book first! It’s a brilliant story that is supplemented superbly by the TV adaptation and one that I feel would be less beneficial if read once the TV series has already been watched in full.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...