Thursday 8 September 2011

Kinect to this....

Kinect has been out now for a little under a year and has been the biggest selling consumer electronic product of all time. I’m no enthusiast and my Dance Central skills are pretty poor but all this bad mouthing of the hardware is starting to grind my gears. This hardware is still new to most of the developers and there is always a learning curve.

I’ve played the Kinect system a few times and always found it to be quite responsive in the clear 6ft game area I’ve used. If something does cause hassle then I attempt to think why and improve my movements to make it clearer for Kinect to read.

The system has a proved tracking system that does work very well under the right conditions. I’ve seen the videos of people that have hacked the device too and this shows everyone exactly what is possible.

I know there haven’t been any great games released that we can speak of but those that have are feeling out the terrain and seeing what people like to play when they have full motion control. Zumba was widely successful sales wide and although it might not be Call of Duty it does have it’s intended audience and they probably aren’t those who like to shoot things.

One of the other fundamental things about this hardware is the ability for Microsoft to upgrade the software over the internet and improve areas which need some adjustment.

The hardware is getting a lot of action within the more hardcore crowd too with voice recognition and additional controls that add to the immersion of the newer games. We all know that the first 18 months of a consoles lifecycle is more of a testing faze and this situation is no different.

In 2 years when the Kinect has had more time in the market and developers have worked out what they want this will be a much better system that what is currently on offer.

My point is – don’t knock it yet!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...